Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

Lockdown Blog!

Hi there!

Today I will be writing a short summary about what I've been doing during the four week nationwide lock-down due to Covid-19 in New Zealand. 

Before the lock-down, my family and I bought a greenhouse to see if we could grow any vegetables during the lock-down. Boy oh boy! We have a lot of vegetables, we've even got a splendid, blazing yellow chilli plant! I haven't got the courage to try it yet, I'm a bit afraid it'll scorch my mouth.

I have been keeping my fitness up by using an old rowing machine which was hiding in our garage. My dad showed me how to use it and I have been glued to it almost everyday! I really like using it, it's quite a lot of fun to use.

I have also been going on walks with my mum, sister and dog everyday as another effort to keep in shape. When we get back from a walk on the mostly gusty days, we have established a process before going into the house.

Before leaving to go on our walk we fill up a tray with water and soap. The reason for this is so we can dip our shoes in it as an effort to try reduce the chance of germs on the bottom of our shoes when we get back from our trek around the neighbourhood. At first it was a bit weird, still is a bit odd but I have gotten used to it. 

I have also dug into the vast plethora of e-Books from public libraries. I have almost finished a book series with 10 books in about a week's time which is a feat I haven't achieved in a little while. 

After having dinner my family and I will watch some sort of movie or series to finish off our day. 

Thanks for reading!

12 comments:

  1. How many yellow chilli's did you grow? If you have lots left over, try making chilli jam. It is great on crackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have about four left over, but some have started to grow from the ones we have already picked off!

      Delete
  2. Sofia, this is awesome. You write really well and I get the weirdness of the shoe thing. My family still thinks I am crackers for spray n wiping down all the mail and groceries that come into the house, but I notice they don't stop me! I tried growing chillies this year and they weren't that hot! Yours might be, so do not take that as a recommendation! I'm going to have another go next year with some Habanero seeds I got. Do you want some when we get back from all of this? I'm so impressed that you use your rowing machine. We have one, but I use it to hang clothes on! It's excellent for that. Go you, you will be super fit at the end of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please, growing Habanero chilli's sounds like it will be fun! (The tasting maybe not as much!)

      Delete
  3. Great reflection Sofia. You certainly have been busy. We have just finished harvesting our beetroot and have enough to last us the winter. Amazing weather at the moment, our strawberrs are still coming. Great for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have baby spinach which will last us a little while, not for winter though! I wish we had strawberry plants, something to look for when we can get back to regular life!

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Sofia, I really enjoyed reading your reflection and am impressed with your vocabulary. I'm so glad we have dogs in our bubble too. It's great to be able to take them out for walks. Do you have a favourite book or type of book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog is a Schnauzer called Marley. I love all books, I am re-reading Roald Dahl's books 'Boy Tales of Childhood' and 'Going Solo'. I found and old fairy tale book and have read that too, great before going to sleep! I two books about cameras and how to take better photos so I am looking through those too!

      Delete
  5. Awesome Sofia, you have been really busy with your garden, exercise and reading. What types of vegetables have you been growing? Have you found new or interesting ways to use them in your family meals? The chilli sounds great, if you do try it, keep a glass of milk on hand. I've heard this can be good to drink when something is too spicy!

    Nga Mihi
    Stef Parker
    Manaiakalani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have used the chilli in a curry, spinach in a omelette and salads so far. We ran out of peppermint tea so I took one or two of the leaves off our plant and used them instead! It tasted really nice, although I might leave them in the water for a bit longer so it tastes a bit stronger.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sofia, you have presented a wonderful personal reflection. I am impressed with your fitness regime and the other things you have embraced during these extraordinary times. The glasshouse sounds awesome. What vegetables do you and your family plan to grow in it in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to try growing onions and spring onions, We have a lot of seeds, I think we might have pumpkin seeds as well. If we were to grow pumpkins we would have to clean out our old veggie patch, it has blended in with the grass we haven't used it in so long!

      Delete