Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Art: Low Poly Drawings

 Hi there!

Today I will be sharing a low poly drawing I have been doing in Art class. Before I show you, I'll tell you about low poly drawing. 

So, what IS low poly drawing?

Low poly drawing is a technique used for modelling for video games and digital design. It focuses on using lowest number of polygons to create an image/model. Low poly minimises the detail which goes into an image being created, so it isn't as precise as its opposite, a high poly drawing. Basically, you are creating a mesh using polygons to create an image. I can tell you now, this is much, much easier said than done. 

example of low poly drawing

For my low poly drawing, I didn't know what to 'draw', at first I was going to create an image of a photomontage I did in Art last year. I decided it was too difficult and started doing a flower instead, this was even more difficult than the photomontage. At last, I decided to do a low poly drawing of my dog, Marley who is an adorable Schnauzer. 

I thought that doing low poly drawings would be a piece of cake, I was wrong. We used Google Draw to make our drawings and paired it with a browser extension called Colour Dropper to get the most accurate colours as possible. It was quite frustrating using the 'polyline' tool on Draw as it took a lot of time familiarising ourselves with how to use it. It was infuriating drawing triangles to fill in my underlying image as I kept on accidentally double clicking, stopping the line. It took some time getting used to it, but I got used to it eventually. I am going to stop writing now and finally show you my finished product!


Ta-da! I am really proud of my drawing, I really enjoyed making it and getting consumed in the process of making it. Thanks Whaea Rowena for showing us this awesome technique!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment