Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Home Economics: Pikelets

Hi there!

Today I will be writing about how I made pikelets in Home Economics.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Edmonds standard flour
  • 1 tsp Edmonds baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup
  • 3/4 cup, approximately
Method:
  1. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. 
  2.  In another bowl beat the egg and sugar with a whisk until pale and thick. 
  3. Add the egg mixture and the milk to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. 
  4.  Gently heat a non-stick frying pan and drop tablespoonfuls of the batter from the point of the spoon onto the surface.
  5.  When bubbles start to burst on the top of the pikelets, turn them over and cook the second side until golden. Place in a clean tea towel to cool.

Sensory Evaluation:

My pikelets turned out very well. They were sweet and well cooked. They were an even consistency throughout. They were soft and sprung back easily when bitten. They were light and fluffy and had nice brown and golden colouring on both sides as well as being a pale golden colour inside. The butter used to grease the pan also provided a nice flavour which compliented the pikelets. 


Something I would change/do differently next time is instead of putting the milk and egg mixture in all at once I would add them bit by bit so that there aren't as many flour clumps in the mixture, this was a problem we encountered. I would also use an electric mixer to beat the eggs, although I got a good arm workout in I think it would be more efficient to use a mixer instead of doing it my hand. 

Here are some photos of my end outcome:






Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment