Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

English/Film Study: Thoughts on, 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'

 Hi there!

Today I will be writing a brief summary of what I thought about the film, 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas'. 

Storyline: Bruno, a boy who is eight years old and from Berlin, Germany moves to the countryside of Europe with his sister, mother and father who is an SS Commander. We find out the reason for their moving is because Bruno's father has been appointed to control a concentration camp so close to their house, it can be seen out a window. Bruno, an avid explorer goes looking about and finds a Jewish boy called Shmuel in striped "pajamas" sitting inside the camp. 


I found the film quite numbing. I felt like this because I couldn't comprehend how horribly the Jewish people in the concentration camps were being treated by the German soldiers. I couldn't believe that people had the ability to be so terrible towards others, purely their ethnicity is different. 

I felt sorry for Bruno, because he was thrust into a world he didn't understand much about, far away from what childhood should be like. I also felt sad seeing Shmuel inside the concentration camp, he looked so fragile and afraid. Not only did he not look like a child, but he acted in a way that he wasn't too. It was such a crazy difference between Bruno and Shmuel, although they are both 8 years old their worlds are completely apart. 

Thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic response. I can see that you have quite a mature insight into some of the challenging dilemmas within the film which I hope we will explore as a class. I look forward to your contributions throughout the term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Truter!
      I found this film interesting to watch in a way and I look forward to the discussions we'll be having in class.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a fantastic response. I can see that you have quite a mature insight into some of the challenging dilemmas within the film which I hope we will explore as a class. I look forward to your contributions throughout the term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog was good

    ReplyDelete